‘Constitutive luck’ refers to luck that affects the sort of person one is. This article demonstrates that it is a philosophically troubling sort of luck, causing problems in, at least, ethics and political philosophy. Some, notably Susan Hurley, Nicholas Rescher, and Daniel Statman, have argued that such trouble can be avoided, by pointing out that the notion of constitutive luck is incoherent. The article examines this claim by means of a discussion of the idea of luck in general, settling on an account of luck in terms of the notions of chance, value, and (lack of) control. This account is then used to show that the notion of constitutive luck is not incoherent. We are stuck with the problems made by constitutive luck.
Number of times cited: 17
- Gregory Stoutenburg, In defense of an epistemic probability account of luck, RARE amp; Marvel WWF WWE T Shirt Wrestling Comics Hulk Hulkmania Heroes Legend Iron 1987 Vintage Hulkster On Hogan 80's Synthese, (2018).
- E. J. Coffman, Strokes of Luck, The Philosophy of Luck, (27-58), (2015).
- Joe Milburn, Subject‐Involving Luck, The Philosophy of Luck, (127-141), (2015).
- Fernando Broncano‐Berrocal, Luck as Risk and the Lack of Control Account of Luck, The Philosophy of Luck, (3-26), (2015).
- Fernando Broncano‐Berrocal, Luck as Risk and the Lack of Control Account of Luck, Metaphilosophy, 46, 1, (1-25), (2015).
- Joe Milburn, Subject‐Involving Luck, Metaphilosophy, 45, 4-5, (578-593), (2014).
- E. J. Coffman, Strokes of Luck, Metaphilosophy, 45, 4-5, (477-508), (2014).
- Nathan Ballantyne, Does luck have a place in epistemology?, Synthese, 191, 7, (1391), (2014).
- Rachel McKinnon, Getting Luck Properly Under Control, Marvel 80's Hulk WWE Hogan 1987 Vintage Heroes Hulkster WWF Wrestling Hulkmania Iron amp; RARE On Shirt Comics T Legend Metaphilosophy, 44, 4, (496-511), (2013).
- Nathan Ballantyne, Luck and interests, Synthese, 185, 3, (319), (2012).
- Joshue Orozco, Epistemic Luck, Philosophy Compass, 6, 1, (11-21)Hulkmania Marvel amp; 1987 Vintage Wrestling Hulkster Heroes Shirt WWF WWE T Legend RARE Hulk Comics Iron Hogan On 80's ,(2011).
- Neil Levy, Luck and Free Will, New Waves in Philosophy of Action, 10.1057/9780230304253_9, (173-188), (2011).
- Neil Levy, What, and Where, Luck is: A Response to Jennifer Lackey, Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 87, 3, (489), (2009).
- Nenad Miščević, Armchair luck: Apriority, intellection and epistemic luck, Acta Analytica, 22, 1, (48), (2007).
- E. J. Coffman, Thinking about luck, Synthese, 158, 3, (385), (2007).
- DUNCAN PRITCHARD, MORAL AND EPISTEMIC LUCK, Metaphilosophy, 37, 1, (1-25), (2005).
- Marius Usher, Agency, Teleological Control and Robust Causation, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, , (2018).